Monday, December 24, 2012

Christmas Eve none traditional Clam Chowder



Yes I know it has been a while, I guess between moving and all the grandchildren life gets crazy.  My Sassy sidekick wishes I would cook all the time LOL but then we would both weigh XXX.  I wanted to throw out some ideas about not cooking traditionally.  I just made clam chowder and yes it is not traditional Boston clam chowder but boy does it taste good.  Just think if everyone cooked what has already been discovered we would have no knew recipes.  Ok, it goes like this, Sassy says she wants clam chowder, so I make some for our Christmas Eve meal.  Since Sassy doesn’t do well with milk I decided to do my own thing with almond milk.  This Clam Chowder does have some tradition, like clams, potatoes, and celery but I think it stops right there.  Take a look, it came out great, at least my Sassy sidekick thinks so .  Creativity comes from your heart, so share your heart this year in cooking.
Go ahead and break some traditional rules, who knows what deliciousness
 you will discover. 





Hot sausage ok I know this does not go in clam chowder but I like hot sausage




One sweet onion cooked down with the sausage



some traditional stuff celery and green onions





got to have red potatoes in you chowder




no clamming here sorry right out of the can but If i was in Florida they would be fresh




Not sure how much little but of this a maybe a lot of that but it is all on the counter




cooking in action I did strain the meat and onion to reduce that oily film on top of the soup



time to add the clams lots of clams I like a meaty soup.  ever have clam chowder and you were the lucky guy that found the one clam





ok I know I said almond milk but I have not found any replacement for Heavy whipping cream any ideas?




Ok the sausage made it a little yellow because of the spice it had in it but that is ok you could garnish well and hid the yellow if you were afraid your friends would not like it LOL but doesn't change the flavor.




ok here is the Almond breeze worked well and it doesn't separate like milk if it gets to hot




now the rest of the fixings





Sassy sidekick did not want to waste her mushrooms so I added them




last but not least celery and later on green onions



all done in my wonderful All Clad coper core pot




Done deal and little early taste test leads to success Onions later tonight




I know it is always a risk but risks are worth it when they are good and when they are bad just another chance to try again for perfection.  but don't be like me my sassy sidekick hates the fact that I do not write down the recipes as I go hard to repeat that way 



No comments:

Post a Comment